1/08/2010

Ink stuff

I have to say, Blogger's NEW AND IMPROVED image upload manger is a piece of shit.

It's made creating this post an incredible  pain in the ass, but for some reason I can't load up the old manager's web page.

I don't know why web designers like to destroy anything simple, quick, and straightforward,  and replace it with clumsiness and complication. Were the masses really clamoring for a slower and more awkward way to upload images?

Anyway...I'm taking a class in Experimental Typography, which is exactly like Typography except I need the credits from the second class to graduate. That's pretty much the main difference: between graduating (HOORAY) and not graduating (damn).

Here are my inked works for my first project, which is to use type to illustrate a figure or object or subject or whatever. I inked them using my new fountain pen, which was a lot of fun but kind of tricky, since I'm still learning how to use it.



This is a goofy goat that I went a bit overboard in illustrating, because other people couldn't tell what the hell it was supposed to be. I thought using the E as a body and the g as a head was absolutely brilliant when I sketched out the concept, but execution made it hard to distinguish from a dog. Or a horse. Or a cow. Really, I didn't settle on it being a goat until I added the extra serif as an ear to the g.



This is the concept of a drink can illustrated two different ways. The can with a B as a pull tab was done first, but it seemed lonely, and I had finally figured out a way to draw a can using the letters of the word, with a bit of thought. The B can wasn't colored in to balance its thick letters against the other can's lighter typeface. B can's a mish mosh of typefaces, but CAN can(?)'s Futura, because I liked the geometric shapes of the letters. They seemed perfect for a cylinder, a circle, and a triangular punch hole.



This is a Franklin Gothic kangaroo. I came up with him after reading an article on Russian constructivism. I think his name is Olaf. It's too bad I can't ink his big A in red.

No comments: